Friday, August 17, 2012

Dear The New Republic:

Next time you run an article like "I Was a Teenage Objectivist"  (h/t Batocchio)


Though the stories are out in force now that he is the GOP’s vice presidential nominee, I could already tell that Paul Ryan was an admirer of Objectivism (though recently renounced). After all, his signature budget proposal is, per the title of one Krugman column, “ludicrous and cruel.” From personal experience, I can attest that ludicrousness and cruelty are two of the very hallmarks of Objectivism.  
Of course, I didn’t know that when I first picked up Ayn Rand’s books—her most popular novel, The Fountainhead, and her magnum opus, Atlas Shrugged—as a misguided high school kid.Indeed, I was the type of young person for whom Rand’s wacky gumbo of libertarianism, anti-communism, atheism, self-help and trickle-down economics makes a lot of sense. I was the poster child for Nora Ephron’s maxim about The Fountainhead—that “it is better read when one is young enough to miss the point.” 
In my case, I was an introverted only child of a military family who had moved to Northern Virginia from a base in rural England in the middle of eighth grade...


please see me first and let me hook you up with some better artwork. 


From "He Was A Teenage Libertarian":

   
“...they turned to prayer, beseechingthat the sin which had been committedmight be wholly blotted out.” 
-- 2 Maccabees. 12:42 
...

Seriously, I don't bite,  play well with others, I'm in your price range and I know how to meet a deadline.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My partner and I have been watching the original Twilight Zone on Netflix (which is far cheaper than cable). We're at about the end of season one, and I noticed something. The only name that I can recall occurring more than once (besides "Smith") was "Reagan". The first time was someone who's life "entered the Twilight Zone". The second episode was "A World of Difference", in which an actor goes crazy and thinks his movie is real. I'm starting to wonder if that name was used pointedly.

DG, and light you can shed? You are a font of infinite science fiction knowledge?

Mike.K.

Anonymous said...

When I was in college in the 60's Rand and YAF were considered clowns. They wore dollar sign ring and pushed Barry G. Who'd a thunk she'd be back 45 years later. Oh the decline of American education. A whole twisted movement from a crazy lady's masturbatory fantasy.

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous:

" A whole twisted movement from a crazy lady's masturbatory fantasy."

You mean Palin's Tea Party?

No?

Um... Bachman's anti-communist hearing?

No?

Ah... Um... "Doctor" Schlessenger's evil "Teh Gay!!1!" dystopia?

No? Really?

Um... Ann Coulter's Liberal Cabal? Michele Malkin's?

Peggy Noonan's sordid steamy night with Reagan?

Come on, you can't be that vague!

Mike.K.

Unknown said...

Speaking of masturbatory, or at least on the subject of Conservaturds and sex...I agree with Mark Ames, as he writes here in 'The Exiled' about the rotten sex lives they must have, plus it's just a good read imho: http://exiledonline.com/we-the-spiteful/

Batocchio said...

It was a good article, but it would have been much better with this artwork!