Friday, November 20, 2009

"Do you want to have a good time?"



...said a voice from a doorway.

"As far as I can tell," said Ford,
"I'm having one. Thanks."

"Are you rich?" said another.

This made Ford laugh.


He turned and opened his arms in a wide gesture.
"Do I look rich?" he said.


"Don't know," said the girl. "Maybe, maybe not.
Maybe you'll get rich.
I have a very special service for rich people ..."


"Oh yes?" said Ford, intrigued
but careful. "And what's that?"

"I tell them it's OK to be rich."


Gunfire erupted from a window high above them,
but it was only a bass player getting shot
for playing the wrong riff three times in a row,
and bass players are two a penny in Han Dold City.

Ford stopped and peered into the dark doorway.

"You what?" he said.

The girl laughed and stepped forward a little
out of the shadow.
She was tall, and had that kind of
self-possessed shyness which is a great trick
if you can do it.

"It's my big number," she said.
"I have a Master's degree in Social Economics
and can be very convincing.
People love it..."


From "So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish", by the late Douglas Adams

2 comments:

Angel Of Mercy said...

I suppose I should have known you'd be an Adams addict too, Glassman, what with your impeccable taste and all.

I've been saying all along that you're one hoopy frood who REALLY knows where his towel is...

Cirze said...

Dammit, dg.

I hate you at times like this.

You deserve the Pulitzer.

S