Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jesusland's Maximum Leader

Bids farewell to his loyal drudges, myrmidons, toadies, trucklers, peons, drones, lickspittles and nad-chamois.

Two nights in a row I have seen blood-soaked madmen on my teevee taking victory laps through the imaginary, eight-year history of a fictional America.

Over here in the Real World -- the one they
hollowed out, set on fire, looted and left for dead --

things look very different.




Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.


I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,


Livin' in the hopeless, hungry
side of town,

I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.


I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,


About the road to happiness through
love and charity,

Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine,
I do suppose,

In our streak of lightnin' cars
and fancy clothes,


But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.


I wear it for the sick
and lonely old,

For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,

I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.


And, I wear it for the thousands
who have died,


Believen' that the Lord was
on their side,



I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.



Well, there's things that never will be right I know,

And things need changin' everywhere you go,

But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.


Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,

And tell the world that everything's OK,

But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,

'Till things are brighter,
I'm the Man In Black.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliantly done, really powerful stuff.

Anonymous said...

Poignant!

Anonymous said...

Perfect. Just perfect.

Rehctaw said...

Gob-smacked. Again.

Is he gone yet? Will he never go away?

Will his epitaph be:
"He got away with it."?

Will we learn? Never again?

BTW, That's an awfully purty lil widget! Congrats.

Fran / Blue Gal said...

Devastating, in a good way.

Thank you, Driftglass.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, dude.

Just to be a nitpicky asshole: The graph of the unemployment rate causes me physical pain, embodying as it does one of my pet peeves, which is the displaced axis. By making the y-axis start at 4% instead of 0%, the graph misleadingly looks like the unemployment rate has increased by over six-fold, when it has actually not even doubled.

This horrible practice is fucking endemic in financial reporting, and makes my teeth hurt.

Anonymous said...

Where are the women in this? Much as I love the man in black, and I truly do, is there no awareness that it was men who got us into nearly all of this?

InsidiousTuna said...

Excellent.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - George W. is very much his mother's son. He took her cold and flippant disregard for those not of her social class and embraced it wholeheartedly.

Anonymous said...

Gee, I thought Johnny Cash was the man in black!

Fran / Blue Gal said...

Anonymous at 12:12, I'm sure you're not suggesting our Secretary of State is an innocent bystander, or that Hillary "nuclear option on the table" Clinton is not culpable for her AIPAC drugged ham-handed war vote.

If I thought that about you, I'd label you a knee-jerk PUMA vote-with-my-pussy tantrumist. Surely no one with the testicular and cranial fortitude to be reading this particular blog fits that description.

Myrtle June said...

Powerful. Just powerful. I believe another, at least, award is in order for this one post alone.

Congratulations again, Driftglass. The badge looks mighty fine sittin' up there. None more deserving than you.

Blue Gal - Thank. You.

Anonymous said...

conrgats on the award DG, now you'll be famous and have to charge to read this blog.

Keep the pixels flying!

Angel Of Mercy said...

THE WINNAH!!

A deep bow and a tip of the tarnished halo to you on your well-deserved Award and the recognition which will undoubtedly follow. (Don't hold your breath, though...)

Now the rest of the world knows what we've known for some while: You are simply scary good at what you do, Dr. Drift Glass, PhD, LSmFT, U.N.C.L.E.

Bloody glad you're on our side...

Serving Patriot said...

Mister Driftglass,

Bravo sir. Bravo!

SP

Anonymous said...

As always, a most excellent post. And major kudos on the award.

Caoimhin Laochdha said...

Mister DG,

Wonderful. What a terrific use of a song that I've returned to at some point in virtually every year of my life since I was a kid.

sláinte,
cl

2xFooled said...

All hail driftglass - we are not worthy

Anonymous said...

Dude, I loves me My Johnny Cash. You've taken him to the circle and put him to rest better than anyone did when he passed our ways.

And yeah. He had a LOT to say, didn't he.

Damn, Drifty. I'm gonna bust out bawlin like a baby.

Good on ya. *wipes eyes* sniff . . . . Good on ya.

What next, you gonna be quotin Dave Alvin? *G*

Rawhk On Ya Americana Soul Son Ya.

Anonymous said...

Comrade PhysioProf:

You ARE aware that the cooked books of the feds are not accurate?

You ARE aware that the actual numbers of unemployed, if ya factor in those who used up benifits, or stopped looking long ago, are likely double what the Feds report?

Doode, unemployed is likely 20% or more, across the land. And unemployed as I define it is those who can't find jobs and are looking. And that don't include how the feds calculate that.

We iz fucked, hoss. Let's get the details straight, and not depend on the feds for the reality the goons on the ground are suffering from.

Harumpy.

Unknown said...

Friggin Perfect Drifty.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a powerful post and I am supremely impressed with the photoshop work.

I don't know what else to say, this is just brilliant work. Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

"I'd label you a knee-jerk, PUMA, vote-with-my-pussy tantrumist..."

Coffee! Everywhere! :o)

Lady, you just got bookmarked, big-time!~! :o)

Anonymous said...

In other news this morning, it seems that Blago's lawyers don't do "impeachments".

Now that the Senate Dems have done the LEGAL thing...the spectacle of Roland Burris strutting and beaming while Blago feints and dodges the Steinways about to fall on him, is a laugh-or-cry sitch.

Reid:

"This turd? Swimming in the Senate chiffon-bowl? No biggie. We only let him in because he's such a sterling proponent of "rule of law"...as personified by the governor who appointed him. In fact, we have so much political capital, and everything's going to be going so, uhhh...swimmingly, that we can afford all of the pub coming down the pike on Blago, etc."

Karen said...

OMG, you put a lot of work into this!

Very sobering in summing up the last eight dreadful years of the horrific worse.president.ever. It sends cold =chills= down my spine.

Congrats on your award!!

Mauigirl said...

Great post.

Review Daddy said...

cool!