Friday, July 02, 2010

David Brooks: The Man of Constant Sorrow

BOBO_TRUTH3
"You can't handle the cocktail party!"

I've got to admit, I am a little amazed by today's steaming load of awesome from Establishmentarian Testicle Cozy Number One, David Fucking Brooks.

I mean, after publicly soiling his Factotum Underoos by energetically interposing himself between Journalism and Power on behalf of Power -- and being thoroughly dismantled down to his constituent Neocon atoms in a variety of places including here and here -- a lesser handmaiden to the plutocracy might have limped off and hidden under the Pundit Porch to lick his wounds and write incredibly shitty columns about other things for awhile.

But Bobo is no lesser handmaiden. Bobs doesn't get paid that Big New York Times/NPR/PBS/NBC Cake to cut and run when the sycophancy gets tough.

Instead, in his "conversation" with Gail Collins (links below), DFB went all in, leading off with the same excuse offered by every collaborators, quisling and toadies since the dawn of time; the same, filthy alibi with which the bestial Noah Cross absolves himself of his horrifying crimes to Jake Gittes in Robert Towne's "Chinatown":
You may think you know what you're dealing with, but, believe me, you don't.



Then Bobo squared his shoulders, squinted his puckered rat-sphincter eye-holes out of which his soul, his self-respect and his professional integrity escaped year ago and unloaded what could only be described as a full-throated attack on journalists who report on the actual things powerful people say and do, and a spirited defense of being a stooge and a yes-man.

If you can stomach it, those whole thing is here.

I had to read it twice -- carefully -- before it sunk in that it was not a soaring, searing parody of a David Brooks column, but his own real words, transcribed just as he spoke 'em. He really did write this:
"Most people in public life are in it for the right reasons. They’re representing a point of view or a group. ...I find the most accurate approach is to view them with sympathetic scrutiny but rarely outright scorn."
And this:
"...It is true that when you interview people you do develop relationships, and there is some pressure not to burn the people you admire and rely on.

Nonetheless, I think the deal is worth it for the reader."
And this:
"Pundits who don’t do interviews often speculate on what is happening, but they usually don’t know what they are talking about. I’ll read some theory by a pundit about why something is happening, and I know it’s complete hokum because I just spoke with the people who are doing it.
And this:
"You can’t understand the flux of forces unless you are inside the conversation."
Exactly!

I mean, how could Shakespeare have written "Macbeth" without being a member of the royal court? How could Hunter Thompson have banged out "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" without being a Pat Buchanan confidant? How could Woodward and Bernstein have assembled "All The President's Men" without being on Nixon's BFF List? How could Royko have penned "Boss" without being a member of Richard Daley the First's inner circle?

How can anyone but a dutiful and admiring camp follower understand what happens when a weak and corruptible human nature intersects with great power?

In other words...
BOBO_TRUTH1

Son, we live in a world that has plutoctats. And those plutoctats have to be guarded by men with newspaper columns.

Who's gonna do it? You, driftglass? You, Taibbi?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Journalism and you curse professional cum dumpsters like me. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Journalism's death, while tragic, probably makes the Ruling Class incrementally more powerful. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, makes the Ruling Class incrementally more powerful.

You don't want the to go to that cocktail party, because deep down, in places you don't talk about on your Journalism Listservs you want me at that cocktail party.


You me need me there.

We use words like craven, stenographer, Villager...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending entrenched interests.

You use 'em as a punchline.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to employees who rise and sleep under the blanket of the very ad revenue I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I'd prefer you just said "Thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a cocktail weenie and go grope a Senator. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to.

Meanwhile, in another Universe not far from this one, David Brooks is making a handsome living writing cheery press releases for Noah Cross.

12 comments:

Cirze said...

Didn't Dumbya say "The truth . . . it's hard!"?

And we thought he didn't know anything.

Keep up the stellar journalism!

Time for your Pulitzer to be awarded.

S

I had to read it twice - carefully - before it sunk in that it was not a soaring, searing parody of a David Brooks column, but his own real words, transcribed just as he spoke 'em.
____________

Anonymous said...

Reading the end of Taibbi's article ("Grazie, signore"), in my mind I saw flash, over Boboski's face, the face of Gradisca (aka Si'l Vous Plait), the voluptuous, slightly overripe character from Fellini's hilarious movie Amarcord.

She got her name from putting out for the handsome, rich, powerful military man.

I think Gradisca might be another good name for Bobo.

Might also be worth a photoshop or film clip. 'Ah, Quanto mi piace La Gradisca'.... :-)

Anonymous said...

Ahh..I knew you couldn't leave this one alone for long. Try to imagine any other time in history when someone like Bobo could get paid!! to write a piece that admits his vision of his job is to befriend the powerful!! While berating an actual "journalist" for daring to print when one of them "steps on his dick" as M.T. so eloquently stated.
What strange days we live in my friend...strange days indeed....

P.s. Do you ever submit to R.S.?...because it sure seems as if you would fit right in.....

Comrade PhysioProf said...

You are the Anti-DFB!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Excellent tie replacement.
~

tsisageya said...

My own GREAT IDEA!

David Brooks and Sarah Palin!

What could go wrong?

Anonymous said...

My God, Drifty. Best one ever!
Would you be a dear and pass me a cigarette?

--Lara Logan

chrisanthemama said...

You're on fire.

Deborah Newell said...

I totally want a tank top or t-shirt that reads I am not an establishmentarian testicle cozy.

And I would wear it to cocktail parties and barbecues. Barbecues! Don't forget barbecues!

What a magnificent post, Drifty. Thank you. In a just world, etcetera, etcetera.

(Good Lord, another dark word verification: axing.
Honey, I'm ho-oooome!)

Serving Patriot said...

Hoooooly sh*t Drifty!

This is some mighty good stuff! I'm still chuckling. And cleaning the coffee from my keyboard.

When/how can we make this into a youtube clip?

Keep it up!

SP

bowtiejack said...

Kudos.
As I believe Yoda would observe, "The rot is deep in this one."

Robt said...

I have got the best avice to resolve DFB's sorrows.

It is said behind every great man is a great woman.

DFB has had relationship (achem) difficulties.

I suggest DFB get on Farm Animals dot com.

There is a Peggy Noonan, half way through a fifth of scotch. Awaiting for her DFB dreamboat to bite on the worm on the hook.

Now really, Wouldn'tDFB and Peggers make such a nice couple?

I mean DFB should get with it. The competition from the many available (even if married) republicans is vast. The Geomerts, Jeff Jordans, Devin Nunes and howdy Gowdeys. Very stiff competition indeed.