Sunday, August 16, 2009

No Reason For Alarm, Citizens



Nothing going on here but a bunch of good, old-fashioned, Murrica-luvin patriots having a good, old-fashioned town hall sing-along, just like the Founders intended.

Have you noticed how these last few months have had a frantically surrealistic feel about them? Almost like a feverish, malignant dream from which we can't quite wake ourselves.

Over sixty years ago, more than 16 million American men and women fought -- and over 400,000 died -- across five continents to help shove this malevolent genie back into its bottle.

And yet here it is again, leering out at us from the darkest and most savage place in the human soul, aided and abetted by Conservative media and political leaders trying desperately to pry the blood-soaked cork out of that ancient, evil bottle in the name of a First Amendment for which they had absolutely no use when a Republican was in the White House.

It would be different if we didn't know who these people are, but we do.
We know what they want.
And history could not be clearer about how this will end if they are not stopped and stopped hard.

And yet in this stupefied summer of 2009 through which we are shambling, the simple act of calling them out for who and what they are -- of speaking a vital, therapeutic and blindingly self-evident truth loud and clear -- is the one thing that virtually everyone in our national media would obviously rather lose an arm than say aloud.

8 comments:

K said...

So, I was posting links to politifact.com on Sarah Palin's facebook page and I was banned from commenting. I was even polite! Some people "just can't handle the truth."

Unknown said...

I fear that no one can reason with an ignorant mob, but unscrupulous interests can manipulate a mob with patronizing lies and fear mongering.
We are screwed.

knowdoubt said...

I live in the "great" red state of Georgia ruled by wingnuts and mostly inhabited by the same. These SOB's will kill you if you disagree with their fascist bullshit. I try to disagree and point out the obvious, when I think I can get out alive.

Cirze said...

Hi kd!

Dg, you are the man (again).

From your mouth to the gods' hands!

No dog whistles needed here; although now that I think of it, losing an arm (or something more low down) might just wake them up.

(And I loves me some early Michael York, not to mention (aieee) Joel Grey on a blistering summer Sunday!)

S

And yet in this stupefied summer of 2009 through which we are shambling, the simple act of calling them out for who and what they are -- of speaking a vital, therapeutic and blindingly self-evident truth loud and clear -- is the one thing that virtually everyone in our national media would obviously rather lose an arm than say aloud.

mikeinportc said...

I got this from The Tan today :
John Boehner - Week in Review: Concerned Voters Are Not "Un-American."

Apparently, the Concerned Voters = Kooky-Leftist-Islamofacistsympathizing-Soft-Wimpy-Traitors Act of 2001 has expired. :-()

blackdaug said...

How amazingly ....eerie....
I was just remarking to someone out here... in the deep red fatherland last week....how mind twistingly ironic it was: that a bunch of crackers were holding up signs depicting Obama as Hitler....at a town hall meeting that reminded me of .....I quote myself...."a beer hall putsch.....".
In the same conversation.....I had said something to the effect.... that in the future, we may look back on this season as the summer of madness.
....and then today, I check in and scroll down and click on that video.
I wonder if there were some who felt that same chill running up their spines....in the summer of 39?

tata said...

Yes. For weeks, I've been waiting for someone to sing this on CSPAN.

Gay Veteran said...

We haven't seen people this deranged since the segregationists in the 1950s/1960s fighting civil rights.