Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Ok, no more monkeying around


with HTML for at least a week.

Although it was an interesting case.

Thank Jebus I keep a test-bed.

It was never intended to be more than a tweak here and there to widen out the body and narrow down the rails. To eye-friendly it up a little, and I end up decapitating (or degluteusizing) the blog.

Sheesh.

And in a way too subtle to diagnose from the castle: every recompilatiion came back A-OK and looked and acted fine

Double sheesh.

Based on some patient emails and my own sampling, it appears that this little electronic hacienda of adjectives was perfectly viewable under the following circumstances:

1. On a Mac (Safari, Firefox or IE)
2. On a WinTel box running Windows XP and Firefox.
3. On a WinTel box running Windows XP and IE.
4. On a WinTel box running Windows XP and Netscape
5. On a WinTel box running Windows 2000 and Firefox.

But not on a WinTel box running Windows 2000 and IE.

Which is also apparently the most common configuration in the solar system.

So I changed the format entirely and while I was republishing the beast (which now takes upwards of an hour, which disinclines me towards making fussier, more tuckpointy changes despite my wishes to the contrary), blogger imploded.

Couldn’t get Gilliard or Shakes or Atrios.

So it’s quite possible that I temporarily annihilated the whole blogger ecosystem.

So I’ve got that going for me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God I run Safari on my Mac! Wouldn't wanna miss this!!

Anonymous said...

So that was you!!! I was able to view the first story and half of the second story on a couple of the blogs you mentioned, then nothing but blank space with a "comments" link appearing periodically in the wilderness.

Luckily I have a Mac so I haven't missed a single installment of driftglass.

--gravie

Blader said...

I blame Shrub

Blader said...

ps

can you please email me your spamcatcher trick/code?

I'm pretty sure my blog will catch fire someday, so I just gotta have it.

ciao

Anonymous said...

I'm running Windows Vista RC-1 with IE7+. I haven't missed a thing.

Anonymous said...

fearless leader said...

I blame Shrub

The ONLY thing you can really blame him for is being an addle-pated, dry-drunk who bamaged too many drain cells.

The "blame" resides in the red staters who knew he was a meat-popsicle, but just to show the whole world how stupid they are, elected him twice. (once?)

Anonymous said...

I thought I did it when I changed my blog to look like yours yesterday. (rubbing shoulders with glory ya know...)

I got the 500 internal server error on all my fav blogspot blogs.

I'm running xppro with firefox and you're loading just fine.


Congrats on killing blogger.


pwapvt

Anonymous said...

I discovered that I could click on the link for the post from the day before and read it correctly, so I was just running one day behind, which, while it does result in some withdrawal issues, does not have the grave symptoms caused by being completely unable to get in here.

Anonymous said...

Dude, there's an election coming. Switch to Wordpress. Now, while there's still time. It'll import all your Blogger posts and comments. You can put a redirect page up at your current URL that'll send people to the new one. (Or register a domain name and use that alias for whatever your new URL turns out to be.)

Do it.

For the children.

Anonymous said...

I just assumed it was Bill Clinton's fault. Or more accurately, his accursed traitorous wee-wee, source of all the earth's troubles.

Billy Jones said...

Thanks to Lex you're my new hero.

Mister Roboto said...

The "deglutification" problem was remediable by hitting the "refresh" button, at least on Windoze Internet Explorer.

Miss Cellania said...

I second the suggestion to leave Blogger. I did, and have been happy since. And my suggestion to everyone else, lose the IE!