Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Finally


The Lincoln Star Journal has more details than any normal person could ever want, of which this was easily the most hilariously depressing:
"Cathy" debuted in 1976 and appeared at its peak in 1,400 newspapers. Guisewite received the National Cartoonists Society's Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist in 1992.

I begrudge no artist or writer their livelihood, but this was accomplished, as Malacandra said, doing literally nothing but "telling the same 5 jokes for 34 yrs".

There will now be a short pause while I reassess my entire life.

5 comments:

  1. Malacandra12:16 AM

    I'm verklempt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:02 PM

    The greatest accomplishment of the Cathy cartoons was making millions of people realize that literally anybody could write or draw a cartoon...assuming your definition of cartoon does not mean 'even remotely funny'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gruaud10:47 PM

    Fucking FINALLY.

    Only FOOB and 9CL are worse abominations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But, but, but...her dog was CUTE and her boyfriend was a LOVABLE BUFFOON?????? That's gotta be worth something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. skunqesh1:32 PM

    Love the graphic, too funneh!

    Berkley Breathed was more my speed back when Bloom County ruled the funny pages. Now dat, wuz serious satire.

    I don't think Kathy even merits parody, unlike the Bill Keane Dysfunctional Family Circus.

    http://dfc.furr.org/archive/11.html

    but I've been wrong before. So many times..

    ReplyDelete