Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Yglesias Throws His Vocabulary Around Again




OK, I'm a reasonably bright guy with an affection-bordering-on-fetish for the English language. Which is why I was so humbled when Matt Yglesias turned the following sentence --

"My guess is that the brighter minds on the right will recognize that their determination to turn health-care reform into Obama’s Waterloo sowed the seeds of their own destruction."

-- in the Daily Beast today.

Because I for one really have no idea what in the world the phrase "...the brighter minds on the right..." even means any more.

6 comments:

  1. Perhaps he's thinking of the ones that burn brightest right before they go out?

    I could suggest Beck, Limpbaugh, Brooks, Friedman - but I'd just be guessing.

    And it's prolly just wishful thinking on my part anyway.

    Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He means the less non-bright. Or, to be appropriately New-Speak about it, the merely un-bright, as opposed to the plus un-bright, and those especially numerous double plus un-brights they have over there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Suzan has hit on this one! Spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:17 AM

    Relativity, you see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps its the Brightness imparted by toxic radiation the Righties continuously receive from Dog-knows-where and transmit to their Lizard People followers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, he means the ones with an IQ akin to a comfortable room temperature number.
    IIRC the 'in-house' descriptive phrase they use is super genius.

    ;>)

    ReplyDelete