I saw John Lee in San Antonio in the late 60's. One man, sitting down, one guitar, a board on the floor for rhythm and an amp. He kept a large crowd spellbound for two hours and never even smiled once. No jive. Bad like Jesse James.
I was lucky to see John Lee a number of times in Berkeley in the early 70's. John Lee and Commander Cody in a lil bar on Shattuck Ave. Jammin together between their sets. Just the two of them.
John Lee. Boogie With The Hook. Always had time to shake a kid's hand, and say thanks for lisening. Class.
Drifty, I missed a lot, and just caught up from pre New Years and such. Congrats on Au Peer, and thanks for all you'be brought to the table, and will be bringing.
Boom boom boom boom. . .
ReplyDeleteI saw John Lee in San Antonio in the late 60's. One man, sitting down, one guitar, a board on the floor for rhythm and an amp. He kept a large crowd spellbound for two hours and never even smiled once. No jive. Bad like Jesse James.
ReplyDeleteAwwwwhhh Shit!! Now we talkin'!!!!
ReplyDeleteYup - the ril dil. I think I'm gonna like this JLH Friday thing! Stop by my place on sunday for church music.
ReplyDeleteI was lucky to see John Lee a number of times in Berkeley in the early 70's. John Lee and Commander Cody in a lil bar on Shattuck Ave. Jammin together between their sets. Just the two of them.
ReplyDeleteJohn Lee. Boogie With The Hook. Always had time to shake a kid's hand, and say thanks for lisening. Class.
Drifty, I missed a lot, and just caught up from pre New Years and such. Congrats on Au Peer, and thanks for all you'be brought to the table, and will be bringing.
Class. *G*
I've been loving your recent political posts... but then, John Lee Hooker too? Well, now I just love your blog!
ReplyDelete