Thursday, December 30, 2010

As SNL Has Taught Us


Weightlifting can be perilous.

Especially if you try to lift too much.

And yet somehow, the indefatigable Batocchio has managed to clean and jerk much of the Best of the Liberal Blogosphere and the legacy of the late Jon Swift without ripping his own arms off.

Which is quite a feat.

It also reminds me why -- despite many philosophical misgivings -- I sorta miss year-end award thingies. The scrum is no fun (and losing to Digby gets boring after awhile :-) but outside of the irreplaceable "Mike's Blog Roundup", it turned out that the nomination process for those award thingies were often one of the only opportunities for the very best work of bloggers who labor outside of the charmed A-List circle to receive the kind of attention they merit.

Thanks, Batocchio. You done good.

2 comments:

Rehctaw said...

As a suggested to the Batman, Post of the year honors MUST go to Russ' Filtered News:
An Open Letter to Conservatives

Second place is but a distant scrum to that effort.

But all hail Battachio for stepping into the void and filling it with Jon worthy splendor.

Batocchio said...

Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up steroids!

Cheers. The actual posting was pretty easy; the prep was the pain, but I'll spare ya the details. I think for the awards – which must be a much bigger hassle than what I did – it's a smart idea to put someone in the "Hall of Fame" if he or she wins twice and retire 'em in that category, to spread the luv. (DougJ of Balloon Juice is still working to make an Al Weisel Award for Internet Humor, by the way.) Meanwhile, Mike's Blog Roundup is Blogroll Amnesty Day every day, a real treasure and good karma machine.

Rehctaw, I agree, that's a keeper and a stupendous post. FWIW, I wrote to him but didn't get a reply, as was the case with many other bloggers I would have liked to include. For this particular tradition, though, it didn't seem right to include a post without the author's stamp of approval. (When I'm subbing at MBR, I can just go ahead!) However, as invited, some people have been leaving their submissions in the comment thread, and that includes the option of linking "something great that I didn't write" like Russ' excellent post. (No need to be shy!) I'll be updating the post tonight or tomorrow, and I think I'll make that more explicit.