Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Non-Coastal Resident Wins "Webby"


Roger Ebert (second right) and Tom Wolfe (center) drinking in O’Rourke’s. Photograph © Jack Lane


Fraud suspected/ National terror alert level raised from “Sea Breeze” to “Monkeyshines”.

From the Sun-Times:

Ebert 'raises bar,' lands Webby Award
Online work brings him joy, grateful critic says


May 4, 2010

Sun-Times film critic Roger Ebert has won a Special Achievement Webby Award from the International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences.

Ebert is being honored for his online journal, which "has raised the bar for the level of poignancy, thoughtfulness and critique one can achieve on the Web, while at the same time shining a light on the most important issues facing journalism," the academy said. "Roger's insights and his unparalleled level of engagement [have] made the Internet a more thoughtful, engaging and self-aware environment."

The Webby Awards are regarded as the Internet's highest honor. "The blog is the writer's medium for the 21st century, and mine has been an unalloyed joy," Ebert said. "Winning the Webby means the world to me."


Seriously, Roger is a hella good writer and richly, richly deserves all the ribbons and cups that anyone can put him in the running for.

As to the “writer’s medium for the 21st Century”?

Well, I Can Haz Seen the future of writing.

Vividly.

Which is why I have recently taken a keen interest in the burgeoning field of cosmetology.

7 comments:

Fran / Blue Gal said...

The problem is, you're a gifted addict. Thank goodness.

Mike Russell said...

I know just what you mean. Recently, an agent told me my novel is brilliant, but she can't sell it, so she's turning me down. So you can imagine how I feel when I see the unquestioning medicority of most of what does end up on the shelves.

Ah, well, rant over. Ebert runs an excellent blog and deserves his award.

Mike Russell said...

Of course, if I'm claiming to be a dcent writer, I should spell "mediocrity" correctly. :p

Mike Russell said...

And "decent." This is really not my day.

mahakal said...

Have you thought about gardening?

knowdoubt said...

Would that be anything like astronomy?

Mike Russell said...

Nah, not gardening. I can accidentally kill a wide variety of plants. :)