Friday, August 08, 2008

"Get Your War On" Grows Legs


and runs, runs, runs like the wind.


I had always dreamed that someday one of creators of one of the many, many worst cartoons in the world would flip out and do something edgy and relevant to some moment in time other than the eternal January 1, 1952 that lives on like a Pine Street Camelot in the imagination of a certain breed very sheltered white people:



Or that at least one of my local papers would walk "The Lockhorns" or "The Wizard of Id" or "Arlo and Janis" out into the tall grass, force them to dig their own graves with Beetle Bailey's helmet and then dispatch them gangland-style. And the next day the world would wake to find "GYWO" merrily syndicated coast to coast next to a note reading "Hagar? Ain't gonna see him no more."

(Which, admittedly, is basically just the cartoon-rotoscoped version of my NYT-dream.)

But this is almost as good:

(if link doesn't work, click here for the original)

Sure they don't sound exactly like the voices in my head, but then again I always thought "Charlie Brown" should sound like Harvey Keitel.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The crazier guy is Paul F. Tompkins, he of Mr. Show and a bunch of animated stuff on adult swim, like Stroker & Hoop.

He does the VH1 goofy stuff too, glad to see he's goin back to his roots with the incisive commentary.

Cirze said...

Always glad to see someone like Hagar take a few licks (in my dreams!).

I could hardly get up off the floor from rolling with laughter - and then I made the mistake of viewing the McLaughlin video with Noah and Joe. P R I C E L E S S.

You're on a roll, Dg, as usual!

Suzan

Welcome-to-Pottersville2: Hang Down Your Head, Jean Duley (Exposer of Bruce Ivins)

Fran / Blue Gal said...

Wow. That's almost as good as Midwest Teen Sex Show. And that's sayin' sumpin.

Anonymous said...

Just great, you had to posit Harvey Keitel as Charlie Brown.

Now I'm off and running seeing a "Mr. Wolf" or "Bad Lt." version of Charlie/Harvey getting revenge on a middle aged Lucy. Charlie is in a dark suit wearing sunglasses, pointing a .45 at Lucy - daring her to "pull the football away this time!"

All those years of therapy and anger management down the drain. Thanks Drifty.

- Habitat Vic

Anonymous said...

As a 'furriner', American Sunday 'comics' are just plain strange. I can't believe 90% are read and enjoyed in this day and age. Apparently so. Talk about living in twilight.

Anonymous said...

I realize you're only talking about cartoon characters, but--making people dig their own graves before killing them?

The more you people talk like Jacobins, the more I come to fear y'all more than the "ancien regime", who at least are the devils I know.

Anonymous said...

Is that concern trolling I smell, or are you merely being ironic?

Anonymous said...

Clearly you've never seen Blue Peanuts or Apocalypse Pooh.

Anonymous said...

GYWO: The video!

How did I miss this?!? This is superb.