Thursday, June 08, 2006

Hey, Dumbass!


I don't have a PayPal account.

Via email, I got this same idiotic attempt to phish my info two days in a row.

Now I'm technically eclectic, and while there are parts of the castle (and, to be honest, long stretches of my belt) that are positively festooned with gizmos, there are some basic accoutrements of the Information Age that I just do without. Not out of any rabidly held principle; Usually just out of a hardheaded, economic assessment of what I actually need or use.

Or, frankly, out of sheer, contrary cussedness.

No I do not have "X".

And nowhere in the Constitution, federal, state or municipal law am I required to have "X".

So stare and call me a Luddite all you want (although doing it while I repair and debug your computer is probably not very good timing and may tempt me to do things to your registers that you really, really don't want me to do, so why go there?) but I am not obliged to accommodate the swarming of mass culture any more than is necessary for me to be contented and minimally inconvenienced.

And that doesn't take a lot.

Hell I'm still pissed off that our economic culture has made it virtually impossible to function without a credit card.
Aside: I once had a student put the question of what everyone thought was a "normal" number of credit cards to the class.

"Like, 22 or 23, right?" she asked.

A few student looked surprised at the total, but a few others nodded tentatively.

I was aghast.


So no PayPal...yet, which makes this little phishing expedition extra special absurd.

Because the only thing more annoying than a grifter is a grifter who insults my intelligence.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two observations:

1- Y'all got some students suffering from the Bimbonic Plague.

2- The "Spraygraphic" babe in the blogad is somewhat slender but has some sweet adductors. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I have found a way to defeat these phishers, but I must ask your help first. I am a Nigerian prince who needs your help in transferring my vast wealth into US bank accounts. I just need your account numbers and SSN to complete this....

Anonymous said...

22 or 23?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Sweet Jesus! This is a large part of what is wrong with America today. So much debt. No basic economic sense.

I'm a cash and carry girl myself, but like you said, one has to have at least one credit card to function in society.

Anonymous said...

I have one credit card, and pay the full balance on it every month. The annual membership fees are the only money the company has gotten out of me. So far, I have only used it for online purchases. Around town, I use my debit card, or check, or cash. Selah.

sabrina said...

TWENTY-THREE credit cards is "normal"??

jeez! i can see having, you know, one of the four major "brands," if you're a completist (sp?). i once had two visas at the same time, when i was cancelling one and switching to a different bank. and maybe you'd have a couple of store cards if you like shopping particular places. but ... 23? that's incredible.

i don't know which is more horrifying -- that the student suggested that, or that she didn't get soundly shouted down by more sensible voices.

Anonymous said...

I have several credit cards, but I normally use just one of the major ones. I'm in a reward points program; screw the airmiles, I apply the points to Big Box home improvement store gift cards! Despite having a really decent interest rate, I pay off in full every month, and use the card for most of my purchases, so I accumulate a LOT of points without extra expense (except for a nominal annual fee for the reward program - it's been well worth it). (Kid Charlemagne, you need to find a card with no annual fee, but sign up for the rewards program!)

It means, of course, that Dubya and his minions can tell in great detail what my life is all about. They'll likely die of boredom reading my statements!

Anonymous said...

Note to Kid C., possibly others: Next time the membership fee rolls around, call and ask that the membership fee be waived; I've done this for five years now. They bill, I complain, they waive. Can't hurt to ask, bet they'll do it.

Back to the originally scheduled topic...

Anonymous said...

I get that pay pal phishing expedition email every several weeks. Not sure how to end it permanently. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

jurassicpork said...

I get those, too. And why do they keep sending me offers to enlarge my penis when it's already 18" long?

Have I said too much?

driftglass said...

jurassic,
Only 18"? You poor bastard. Were you involved in some kind of accident :-)

scout,
Nothing a cruise missile wouldn't temporarily displace.

sabrina d.,
It was quite the wake-up call.

terry of the C.A.,
Indeed. Cash on the barrel-head whenever possible.

US Blues,
She looks...tense.
Perhaps a nice shoulder massage?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Holiday information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a student debt help site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

Anonymous said...

handyman service brouchers Advice at http://remodeling11.com/bee.pl?ki=master&remodeling=home . If you are Looking for handyman service brouchers Then Here it is

Anonymous said...

If anyone needs home computer programming repair on call utah ... Remodeling your home tips and more can be found at http://remodeling11.com/bee.pl?ki=master&remodeling=home

Anonymous said...

Learn The Secret Today

Find The secret to the secret at http://loans4bills.com/. If you want to find out how you can get bad credit home loans mortgage refinance 2nd mortgage help visit us

Anonymous said...

hiring insured subcontractors nowBloggers

Looking for hiring insured subcontractors now at http://doityourselfpro.com/. Well I recomend This Site. Maybe your asking who am I.... Well Im not Who you think I am. If you need help with hiring insured subcontractors now Then GO NOW